Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More Ear Issues




Remember this post?

In it, I mentioned that my mom is just not a complainer when it comes to her health. Although she deals with constant headaches and ear infections, you will hardly ever hear her say she is in pain.

In fact, she probably will kill me for even writing this, but the fact is that 3 surgeries in less than three years has taken it's toll. This past surgery was supposed to be her easiest, and ended up having far more complications than anyone predicted.

Fast forward to the present: one ear has about 12% hearing, and the other one used to have almost double that. Now, her good ear is losing hearing. Fast. In the last two to three weeks, she has lost almost all hearing.
She went to the doctor today, who was pretty discouraged with this prognosis. He would like to try steroids for the next two weeks, with the hopes that the hearing will return on it's own.

Otherwise, the recommendation is that she goes in for another surgery to build up the ear drum. Already having talk of another surgery, after the last one was less than six months ago is discouraging.

I covet your prayers for my mom. Please pray that these steroids, which are not likely to work, will actually do the trick. I am not sure I can bear the thought of another surgery. She always is in so much pain.

Thanks:-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamie, I'm sorry to hear this.

I will be saying lots of prayers for your mom and your family. This can't be a easy thing to go through