Monday, November 24, 2008

A little late, but fitting this Thanksgiving week

About two and a half weeks ago, my mom had ear surgery. This was her third one in three years; toughest yet. Long story short, it was worse in the ear than originally thought and led to a longer surgery than expected. Coupled by them being 2 hours behind in the first place, I felt bad for my mom as she had not eaten and I am sure she just wanted to get it over with.

After she came out of surgery, my dad asked if I could go downstairs to get her prescription from the pharmacy before they closed. I know the hospital well, but somehow I ended up backwards. I finally came out into the lobby, which I had passed through earlier in the day with no feeling whatsoever. However, something about being back in that spot with no one around almost brought me to my knees.

My heart started pounding faster and faster, and my eyes started welling up with tears. I could feel my breathe catch. It is amazing how one place can do that to you.

I remember sitting by the edge of the fountain, looking down at all the quarters strewn about the bottom and smelling that odd smell every fountain emits.

I remember seeing the pennys and nickels intermingled inside the fake plants surrounding the edge of the water, and wondering if those people got their wish.

I remember pleading with God to heal Bryce's heart.

I remember taking Kayden to that same spot later in the morning, leaning in next to him as he threw in his own quarter, saying "Please heal Baby Boy." My eyes get watery just thinking about it.

I cannot say for certain why that fountain brought about such strong emotions, since we have been back a few times since. Something about the quiet of the hospital at night, when visitors have gone home and the badge of courage has dissipated. I do know this- I started praising and thanking God profusely. Time has passed, the danger does not seem as present as it did that early morning when I pleaded at that fountain.

I guess my point is that this week, it is a good reminder of all I am thankful for.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, friend.
I am praying for Jan's recovery!
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Lyn said...

This was a hard one to read, Jamie. You guys have been through a lot with your family and your mom's surgeries. It's not often that I get to hear your heart like that and sometimes I don't quite realize what is actually happening. It was good to hear your heart Praying for you this season and thanking God for being so good. Love you

Lyn said...

So sorry about the name on the last comment. I am obviously such a computer moron. :-) I think I have it all straight now. whew!!!

Lyn said...

Okay....I give up and will get some advise on how to fix it, and I'll quit bothering you. lol

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

Beautiful Jamie