Monday, March 05, 2007

Calvin College


We drove in the front entrance, unloaded the diaper bag, and climbed over a snow mound to get to the commons area at Calvin College this evening. A few of the teachers (now administrators) from California were in town tonight interviewing for the positions open at Redlands Christan school. We also met up with five of Josh's former fourth graders that are students there. A couple thoughts came to mind:
  • The Calvin college campus, including the common's area, is in need of some major updating.
  • Seeing all those former students made Josh and I miss California, and on a smaller scale- four quarter basketball. Two of the former students used to play basketball for Josh, and that team was probably the most fun we have ever had in a season. Five period ball blows!
  • I realized talking to these students just how old we are that our fourth graders are now in college.
  • Josh was offered the fourth grade position open at Redlands Christian, and I seriously think if I wasn't there he might have accepted:-)
  • I now see why kids miss mom's cooking- that food was horrible!
  • Being in college is a lot of fun. Stories were told of daily life, and although there is some stress involved with studying, a lot of college is carefree and fun.
  • I miss the orange groves. That could possibly be what heaven smells like. If you have never experienced the smell of fresh, dewy orange blossoms first thing in the morning or late at night- you are missing out, friend.
Although it is only about fifteen minutes from our house, Calvin College seems like another world. I am sure it feels that way to all of these California transplants, too.

4 comments:

Dana said...

No doubt, aesthetics were not a priority when Calvin was built.

Anonymous said...

The beauty of a college is not what it looks like from the outside, rather, what you learn on the inside. I went to Grand Valley and Ferris and found them both ugly outwardly. However, my best memories are of my favorate friends, professors, and the chance to advance myself. Look who Calvin is named after? How fitting. Josh can not and shalt not leave the basketball team family he has now. I will not stand for it. And you have brought a little orange blossom to Caledonia yourself. Pretty poetic HUH?

Laurie said...

Hi Jamie. I'm glad I finally know your first name! Since Calvin is my alma mater and my dad has taught there for nearly 30 years, I must also defend it. It is beautiful in the summer. (Can you tell I worked on the grounds crew for four summers?) I don't think anything looks pretty in all this snow ... except maybe evergreen trees.

California sounds good right about now.

Anonymous said...

Good words.