Sunday, January 07, 2007

"Your kid is so cute!"

The other day I was in Meijers (again) getting the weekly groceries that never quite last long enough. There I was picking out the extra large jumbo diapers for Kayden, when an old high school friend literally bumped into me. A little girl around six years old dressed to the hilt was sitting in the cart. Putting it nicely, she was at an "awkward" age. Should I compliment her outfit, I think? As I am grappling with what to say, I hear mom exlaim,"Isn't she the most adorable little girl?"

How in the world do I get out of this one? "Yes, she is very cute", I said and both mom and daughter beamed with pride. I know there is no excuse for these little white lies, but I did it anyway. We talked a few more minutes and then parted ways. As I was walking away, I thought about the way God made Mothers. No matter what your child looks like, moms think they are cute. I even look back at pictures of Kayden when he was a baby, and wonder what I saw in certain pictures.

Sunday lunch is always at my mom's house, so today I hauled out a box of old photos. You know those kids that never really have that awkward stage? I was certainly not one of them. I remember not being the most attractive kid, but my mom always gushed at how cute I was. Opening the box, my mom took out a couple of photos and said "Wow, I was wrong-you were not cute at all!" If you do not believe me, take one look at these photos. Awkward doesn't even begin to describe that first one.

Big old teeth juttting straight out, frizzy hair, glasses that were bigger than my face, and good old mom thought I was beautiful. Thank God for Mother's vision.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The saying A face only a mother could love comes to mind...

Michelle said...

You've come a long way, baby! But then again, haven't we all?

MiniMe Mom said...

I think it is hilarious to look at old photos. The only ones I hate to see was when I was 18. I want that body back. I remember a cartoon Chelle put on her blog about before kids and after kids. That is how I feel.

Anonymous said...

At least you have pictures to look back at...Try being the 5th of 6 kids, If I can find a dozen pictures of me, I would be lucky :)

Michelle said...

what's wrong with mullets?
They're business on top, party in the back.

tami said...

I had a very awkward stage in fifth and sixth grades and by awkward I mean chubby, bad hair, and buck teeth. I had my wonderful brothers to remind me that I was fat. I