Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Odd February creeps me out

Feb 21, 2003 My aunt Vicki was driving under an overpass and four teenage boys dropped a brick off to the freeway below. The brick smashed through her windshield and hit her in the face. She pulled to the side of the road, and my cousin Sarah was with her and called for help. It took a while to find them, they closed down the freeway, and airlifted her to the hospital. In the midst of the storm, while waiting for the medics, they prayed for the offenders. For forgiveness, for grace.

Many of the details are horrifying. My cousin sitting alone at the hospital waiting for my uncle to arrive, the surgeries she has had and will continue to have restoring her teeth and bones, the fact these boys got off very easy. The truly amazing- this community caring so much for her, the new law known as "Vicki's law", bringing our family closer, and most importantly her forgiving spirit and love for God. All of us wanted to kill them, and yet the maturity of her faith was unbelievable- inviting the perpetrators to share in the forgiveness we all know.

Fast forward- Feb 10, 2005 My uncle was flying a private passenger and my grandpa from Ottawa Executive Airport in Zeeland to Springfield in a Piper PA-24 Comanche plane when it crashed on the Silo Ridge Golf Course in Bolivar, Mo., about 30 miles north of Springfield. The plane's broken gas gauge read that there was still a quarter tank left when the plane ran out of gas. He tried landing it, caught a tree, and disoriented thought he was upside down in that tree. Instead, they were upside down on a golf course. Unfortunately, they cell phoned rescuers informing them they were in a tree, so no one was looking on the ground. Three hours later, they were found by some local residents. If it had not been below average, freezing temperatures, they would have all died. All three of them were treated and released a week later.

So, this coming February rolling around creeps me out. These are random, really freaky accidents. I am a believer, I know everything happens for a reason. Some amazing things have come out of these situations. Not for one minute am I wishing anything else to happen though! I think I will just hold my breath until February passes!!:-)

Check out this link to Our Daily Bread with my aunt's story.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I think I would be a little nervous too. I heard about both of these things (not sure if it was that exact plane crash) but how wierd that they both happened to members of your family!

tami said...

I remember hearing about the brick being dropped off the overpass. What an amazing story of forgivness.

MiniMe Mom said...

She was, and still is, a bit of a local celebrity:-) People still call Wood TV 8 and the GR Press ti find out how she is doing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe that was your aunt. I bet that was beyond devastating for your entire family..and then to read about the plave crash...I immediately thought of Romans 8:28

Michelle said...

I truly hope Feb. '07 is a blessing for you! :)