Sunday, January 14, 2007

Say it ain't so!


Confession: I have been in the closet for a long time. Sitting by quietly when you all mocked Tami and Sonny. Holding my tongue and never quite admitting my prissy past for fear of label and reproach.

It all started off so simple. A "Lisa" Cheerleading Doll when I was four. Then, the seventh grade team. I was thrilled with the skirts, the pom poms, the dancing, the hair flipping (let's be real- the basketball players). All too soon it became a serious obsession. I defended cheerleading and called it a sport. Somewhere between my sophomore and junior year, it lost it's luster. Alas, in my post high school years, I have resorted to hiding my colorful past. Even mocking cheerleaders a time or two.

Tami, Sonny- interesting fact. Madonna, Halle Berry, Kim Basinger, Cameron Diaz and Kirsten Dunst were all cheerleaders. Male celebrities who were cheerleaders include Samuel L. Jackson, Steve Martin, Aaron Spelling, and even President George W. Bush. That last one might explain a few things.... that actually is him above.



Maybe my mom can answer this...were we as annoying as I think cheerleaders are now? Never watching what is actually going on during the game. Shouting for first and ten on the fourth and goal? California cheerleaders actually cheer over the loud speaker. Talk about annoying.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!! I have lost ALL respect for you! I can't believe Josh would marry a cheerleader! He must not have found out until after the wedding huh?

MiniMe Mom said...

Does it matter I am a reformed cheerleader?

tami said...

I remember a coach once telling us not to watch the game and concentrate on cheering. I was just in it for the fame and short skirts.
Jamie, no reason to be ashamed embrace your past.

Anonymous said...

Tami, how can you concentrate on a cheer?

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! Concentrate on cheering! I think I am going to die of laughter!

Anonymous said...

Craaaaap.....aaaaad

Sonny Huisman said...

I have to admit, I also liked the short skirts and the way that turned the boy's heads.

Also, I was good at yelling . . . I think that's one of the spiritual gifts . . .

Admit it Brad, you thought we looked hot - if nothing else! And don't forget, you were my Mads partner . . . you liked standing next to that cute cheerleader!

I agree with Tami, Jamie! Embrace your past! It's part of what made you who you are!

Sonny Huisman said...

Fig and Brad,

I'd like to see you in a short skirt, looking good, memorizing the words and motions to a cheer, while climbing on top of a huge pyramid . . . it's harder that it looks.

Most guys can't multi-task, and therefore are intimidated by cheerleaders. It's easier to just mock them.

The good ones like, Tami, Jamie and myself make it look easy. Don't be jealous boys - don't be intimidated. We're human just like you - we can just do more than one thing at a time.

Anonymous said...

OK Sonny, I did enjoy being Mads partners w/ you but I had to keep blocking out the fact that you were a cheerleader! For a long time at SCHS the ration of cute cheerleaders to otherwise was VERY low. Not to mention that they can be annoying.

I think I'd look sweet in a short skirt! I'd need a lolly though.

Sonny Huisman said...

A lolly is a good idea . . . we wouldn't want to see your man parts hanging out of the skirt . . . ew!