Friday, December 15, 2006

Don't Sweat the small stuff



Caledonia CRC is the second church I have really called "my church". We were wanderers in CA, never really settled into a church family. Jamestown Baptist is the church I was baptized in, married in, and still so many people there I still care about.

About two weeks ago this past Sunday, my brother Nathan called on his way home from my house. He said that the road to his duplex was blocked off by police and he could not get down his street because there had been a horrible accident. The next day we found out that it was a family (my brothers age) from Jamestown Baptist. They were at a baby dedication, had gone out to lunch as a family, and on their way home a woman lost control of her vehicle and crashed into them head on. The parents actually came upon the crash and stayed with them as they were cut out of the car. Two children were in the car- Dalton, their three year old and a 10 month old.

The ten month old escaped with minor injuries and has already been released. The three year old has not had the same luck. Broken back, lacerated intestines, high fevers, they originally thought he was going to have a similar injury to Christopher Reeves. He is currently fighting just for survival. The mom and dad have also suffered life threatening injuries and have yet to find out the condition of their son. (carepage HeathBudrew)

I guess this month has made me really reflective. And incredibly thankful. I too often get bogged down in the daily things Kayden does that bug me- terrorizing the dogs, dumping boxes of cereal out, breaking dishes, never wanting to get in his carseat just to name a few. Then I look at this precious life and I can't help but kiss Kayden five hundred times a day, watch him sleep, kiss his belly, tickle his perfectly smooth armpits, sit him down to read a book and thank God I am not experiencing this.

No comments: