Wednesday, December 20, 2006

As long as I am up here...

Lately I have been high on my soapbox here at the MiniMeMom Blog, so why stop now?

Josh and I needed to supply a loaf of bread for a dinner party. "I will quick pop in to Meijers", I thought. I rushed to get my bread and which was the shortest line? The Self Checkout, of course! So, in line I went with three people ahead of me. Three things really bother me when I am short on time:

  • Check Writers- all of you who are still writing checks for groceries- do us ALL a favor and get a debit card. If you HAVE to write a check, at least have it filled out before hand. Bless her heart, the woman two in front of me wanted to write a check. By the time she found her ID, wrote out the check, signed her name, and had the attendant verify all the information, I could have whipped up a fresh loaf at home. This could quite possibly be my biggest pet peeve.
  • Knowledge of the machine- I am all for a learning curve here. But if you haven't the foggiest idea how to use the self check kiosk, please go to the express lane. When there are ten people behind you is not the time to decide to figure out what a UPC code is.
  • Broken machines and Line Cutters- Of course the minute it is finally my turn, I have cash in hand and I am ready to whip my UPC code over the scanner, insert my cash, and dart to my car. Oh no, the entire system goes down as I scan it. I fully realize this is God's way of trying to teach me patience. The attendant then opens one checkout lane for the five rows of self checkouters (okay, I know it is not a word). Everyone rushes over the the new line. Where am I? About fifteen back of course. So, I did something I have never done before. I went up to a boy working at Meijers, handed him $2 and ripped the UPC code off. I asked him if he would ring it up later and keep the change. He agreed, and I was out of there 30 minutes after I went in.

So, how about you fellow bloggers- PLEASE tell me you are not check writers!!! Does Meijers test your patience?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Amen! AMEN!!!! I know of a person who still goes to the bank to write a check for cash when she needs cash because she doesn't have or know how to use an ATM and her husband's pay goes direct deposit. Chelle knows this person well too.

Anonymous said...

Check books are the root of all evil. They take far to long to write, people try to reconcile them while in the checkout line, everyone forgets to write in the deposit, your wife can see what you are writting checks for, they are always overdrawn, the check numbers never add up, some checks are lost forever. Has anyone heard of Debt cards? Just charge it. In the pharmacy old ladies always empty their whole purse out just to find the checkbook. I suggest everyone use "real money". There I feel better. PS Josh ruled last night.

MiniMe Mom said...

I feel for you Nicole. I despise Meijers. Today I got suckered into buying NEMO for Kayden. Thank God the goldfish are only 13 cents, because I am sure they will be dead soon.

Fig, I am sure you deal with many, many old ladies. When I was sixteen, I worked at Rogers Dept store and fitted old ladies for bras. Gravity is a cruel, cruel thing. A little deodarant would have been nice too for some of them.


Triplet Dad, is it Chelle?

Anonymous said...

The person I was referring to is left handed and married to Fig

tami said...

I have a love-hate relationship with Meijers. I love that they carry so much and the prices are cheap. I hate that the store is so huge and you can't just run it and the customer service is horrible.

Chelle said there was talk of maybe meeting at Panera bread for coffee without kids some night, I am in.l

Michelle said...

Yes, I know the mystery check writer, mark my words she will never get a debit card, and she IS left handed--good clue triplet dad. As far as my "refusal to step foot in Meijer after Dec.1" I have been there, count' em, 4 times!! and I loathe myself for it. I would much rather brave the crowds at Target--if only they had ground beef........

Anonymous said...

Whatever will some of these people do, when in the very near future, nobody accepts cash or checks anymore? How about those who religiously follow a certain "financial Guru"? Will they have to have 15 different debit cards? Hmmm.... things to ponder. +

I, too tried using the self checkout earlier this week. It would be faster to go to the express with 3 people in front of you, I am convinced of it.

Anonymous said...

I have a question, how come Meijer, Target, etc, have 20-30 check-out lanes and they usually have 1/4-1/3 of them open? Anyone ever go to a store like that where most of the lanes are open? Why have them if you aren't going to have them open? That chaps me bad!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Meijers a "four" letter word? Why don't they just give their antibiotics away? Will the "financial Guru" put all his credit cards in envelopes?

MiniMe Mom said...

I have absolutely no idea who the financial guru is, or what their theory is?

Anonymous said...

You can't seriously be saying you've never heard of the "Dave Ramsey way"??? Cash for everything? Keep your money in envelopes? Just hope you don't ever get into a conversation with his "disciples".

Good pickin' up on that Fig! You smart!

MiniMe Mom said...

No. I honestly have not heard of him. Suzy Ormond, or whatever her name is, I have heard of-but not cash in envelopes? Sounds different...

Anonymous said...

We started the Dave Ramsey program for kids with our 3 kids this summer. Serve - Save - Spend - Pocket money. It works great for them. They always take their pocket money when we go to the store (Meijers) and if they want to buy something they have to use their own pocket money. No more asking mom. They know what the answer will be. We got the book and CD from the library if anyone is interested.