Monday, May 17, 2010

31 turning 42

"Mrs. Bird, Mrs. Bird! I found someone in my book that looks exactly like you!" one of the fourth graders proclaimed excitedly when I walked into the room today.


Fourth graders don't always have the most tact, so I wondered how bad this picture was going to be. They pretty much speak what is on their mind, without the foggiest idea that it might be offensive. It is actually one of the things I love most about this age- you know what you get.


I remember one of the first years I was married to Josh, and my grandpa passed away. Each student worked hard to create a special card to cheer my grandma. Along with a tombstone and RIP on every.last.card, we oscillated between crying and laughing when reading them.


One card said "I am sorry your husband died. Now it's time to get over it. "


Another said "So, you have been married 50 years. Wow, he must have really loved you."


Hoping the picture wasn't Phyllis Dillard or Betty White, I sceptically waited as they flipped through their book to find the page where the "look-alike Mrs. Bird was".


Wanna know who it was???



















A 42 year old JK Rowling.

I guess I won't take it too personal. Seeing that on my birthday, most of them guessed I was turning 60.

4 comments:

kirsten said...

but she's beautiful!! I think that's high compliments coming from the kiddos.

having said that, my 5yo was in hysterics when my mother talked to him about what they'd do together when he was 10. "But GRANDMA!!" he sputtered - "you're so chubby! You're gonna DIE by the time I'm 10!!!"

MiniMe Mom said...

Kirsten- I am cracking up. That is too funny! Kids are hilarious.

She looks way prettier in this picture than the one they showed me. Once I googled her, I thought "Wow, she looks really good!" Unfortunately, the picture they showed me was a tad....older looking and less lovely! :-)

Simply Lovely Gifts said...

I agree - she's gorgeous & so are you! Not sure what picture they showed you, but I can see a resemblance - especially in your pretty eyes.

Laurie said...

Oh kids! You gotta love their honesty. May I just say, you're way cuter than Ms. JK Rowling.