Tuesday, September 04, 2007


Recently, my dad's best friend died of heart failure. He contracted a heart virus two years ago, and his heart never fully recovered. Mike was the kind of guy that lived life to the fullest- he was part of a parachuting team that did elaborate formations in the air, barefooted behind big power boats, and loved to drive fast motorcycles. After he died, my dad bought one of his motorcycles and has loved having that piece of him as a reminder of what a fun guy he was. Last night, my little brother asked if he could drive it. The conversation:


Brother: Hey Dad, can I ride your motorcycle?

Dad: Sure, but just stay off the main road since you do not have a motorcycle license. I would not want you to get caught by police and get a ticket.

Brother: No problem- I will stay off the main roads.


After a while, my mom began to ponder where he could be, since the road my parents live on is not that long. He returned home after a while and we asked him where he was. "I was riding on the sidewalks", he replied. "You said to stay off the main road." 'Cause that will keep the cops from giving you a ticket---riding a street motorcycle on the sidewalk.


The funny thing is I can see why he thought that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your brothers crack me up!

Joan

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Hudsonville and my neighbor got a Honda. We were not old enough for a motorcycle so we also ran on the sidewalk. Hudsonville's finest pulled us over once but just told us to go home. We didn't.

Anonymous said...

on the way home from coffee a few nights ago, i saw a car with a stuffed bear in the back window...and I died laughing!

Laurie said...

It was great to meet you Jamie. Catch you at the children's museum some day. (By the way, if you go on member's days/Pal days you get free food.) Us Dutch people have to alert one another when free food is involved. :)