Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Grand Valley State University, circa 1997. I walked past two girls from my Biology class, and overheard them say,
"There is that girl from class. You know, the one who always wears black pants."

My mom and I were laughing tonight remembering that I wore black pants literally every day for about four years. The cut and style were different. Every last pair the same color. Joan, I know you are out there and remember this vividly. Not denim, nare a navy, not even a touch of pink...just black. Most days I topped it with a matching black shirt.

Why, you ask? My desire to be invisible and unnoticable. I thought by wearing black pants I would not appear to have the large backside I was so self-conscious about. Enter: Josh. His parents do not own anything in the color black. They would not buy him black clothing growing up. I perused his closet one day and found, wait for it, an extra tall polyester dark purple suit with matching purple tie and plum purple shirt. Can you just see it?

In a self-reflective moment not all that common here, I thank God for bringing me my opposite. Someone to bring out my colors. Make up for what I lack.

And just for the record, the purple suit was retired shortly after we were married.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

You are right, I am out here and yes I remember it vividly...Seems the red pants entered after you met Josh!

I will be in touch soon!

Laurie said...

Cute post. We all repeat, "Black is slimming" on our not so slim -feeling days. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay -

So yeah, I had a pair of purple pants in my closet, along with a light purple shirt and a tie to go with it! It was a classic outfit for me, and it led to me being called a "pimp" by my basketball teammates in college. Not bad for some tall white dude in NW Iowa with some mad hops! It also got the ladies talking - and in all good ways! Besides, the only person that looked better than me in that purple outfit was Jalen Rose at the 1994 NBA Draft - red pinstriped suit! I wanted to get one of those, but it cost like $1000 in downtown Chicago, so I settled for a pair of Jordans.

By the way - I can do my wife one better with my outfits. Late eighties, Miami Vice is hot - I had an authentic Don Johnson/Sonny Crockett suit. Canary yellow suit with a white undershirt, and white shoes to match. No one else in Hull, IA would dare to wear that outfit to church, but I pulled it off! Next year - pink suitcoat for eighth grade graduation.

That's all I have - love you Jamie!

Josh Bird

Redlands High Terriers > Any High School in Michigan

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

That's beautiful. Isn't it so nice to have married someone who makes you whole and brings to the table things that you lack or who helps bring out in you what is hiding? That's good stuff.

Michelle said...

I just read this post for the first time!
Black pants rule! Why else do I wear them practically every Sunday.
Also, I love that Josh remembers what Jalen Rose where to the NBA draft in '94. He is a true fan of sports as well as fashion!!
Too bad Josh doesn't have that Miami VIce suit still, he and Danno could be twinners!