Sunday, July 06, 2008

Bubble Shattered

As Josh and I were taking a walk to get ice cream, we stopped to chat with a few neighbors we have not met before. I must preface this by sharing that most of the occupants on our street are much older, and almost never just outside as we often are. I see them in passing-usually as their garage door is shutting behind them. I grew up in a neighborhood where "everybody knew everybody". Summer days were spent sharing the street with bicycles, baseball bats, and clusters of parents idly chewing over the latest news, so this has been an odd transition.



Just as I was feeling confident in our new connection, they informed me at that the neighborhood watch had taken place a few nights prior. Lt. Adams had come to let all of us know we have a prostitution ring two streets over.



Bubble Shattered.


Then Josh went to get the oil changed this weekend, and came home with this:


It says KENTHOOD. A slip, perhaps, but not entirely untrue.

5 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Jamie,
What does that receipt say? My eyes are getting old or something.

Anonymous said...

I can't read it either

Michelle said...

people, it says KentHOOD.

i have heard of RentWood, but this is a new one. ;)

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

Our Jenison "bubble" was shattered last week. April had a her car broken into and had alot of property stolen, right in our driveway!

Where is it safe anymore?

Joan

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

Thanks for the comment and compliment, you are waaaaaaaaaaay too kind!

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this news about your neighborhood! You know though, it happens everywhere! You'd think the big crimes would happen more in the "hood" but it seems to be happening more and more these days in the nice, quiet neighborhoods. :-(