Tuesday, May 13, 2008

UPDATE

Today was a much better day. I suppose they get all the testing done at once so it is just one big, long day of crying.

Last night still brought many breathing problems, but as today wore on he started to breathe better. He is now off his oxygen and holding on by himself quite well. With the lack of assisted breathing, though, all interest in eating has been lost as he cannot breathe through his nose enough to eat. Lots of fussiness today, but thankfully no more big tests! I would say today was mostly just monitoring him and making sure he did not relapse with his breathing. I am amazed that so much time can be spent just doing that endeavor. Even making a phone call has been difficult because someone is always here asking how he is doing, feeding, taking temperatures, blood pressure, etc. This may sound trivial, but one huge annoyance is all the tubes and leads he is hooked to. I am constantly stepping on one of them, or getting it stuck to my shirt...leading to lots of LOUD beeping and searching for the problem.

Thanks for all your prayers, e-mails, phone calls, and well wishes. It is hard right now to respond individually, but I will try to once we have more time around here! Some of you have asked if you could come and visit, and as much as I would personally love to see you, we have to ask that you refrain. First, he is highly contagious. Every person that enters must wear a mask, and most nurses and resp. therapists use gowns that are disgarded each time they enter. Second, we are trying to limit how much he is exposed to on the outside. We are told to expect a few weeks of home stay once we are out of here, so it looks like I might be MIA for a while!

Well, that is it for now. Seeing that my mom and I shared a single cot with Bryce last night, I am pretty tuckered. I will update more when I have it! Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers! (and thanks mom for bringing up the blow up bed tonight!:-)

2 comments:

The Polkadot Platypus said...

Ugh, so it ended up being RSV, huh? My daughter had that too when she was 11 months old and she was hospitalized for a week after it turned into pneumonia. That is the pitts. Praying he recovers quickly!

Anonymous said...

HI Jamie! I'm so sorry! I hope he gets better soon! I can't believe it...he's been through so much already...I'm praying for him and for you, just hang on, he'll be better soon. I'm sorry sweetie...