Thursday, May 01, 2008

Rough Birth= Rough Week

When Bryce was 9 days old, we took Kayden swimming at East Kentwood's pool and while we were there Bryce's right arm and legs would not stop twitching. He had done it before, in fact many times since birth, but this one was exceptionally long. For over ten minutes, I watched as his little arm twitched away. When I got home, I called the nurse after-hours line concerned it was a seizure. She informed me that it was not a seizure, but to mention it to my doctor at the two week check up. The twitching continued.

Last Wednesday I went in and was informed that it could be normal twitches associated with development of the muscles, or it could be bleeding on the brain because he had such a traumatic birth. He still has two large bruises on each side of his head (his head actually looks triangle-like because of this--thank God he has a lot of hair!) , so they were concerned that possibly some bleeding internally could have occurred as well. If it continued through the weekend, the plan was to get an ultrasound done through his soft spot to look at the brain. The fear being that cerebral palsey was leading to the twitching because of a neurological disorder.

So, Tuesday we trudged down to DeVos Radiology department. It is a scary place to be. Each parent is there because they fear something is wrong with their child. Whether it be cancer or a problem like ours, the unknowns are palpable and the tension is felt immediately upon entrance.

Bryce did really well for the first seven minutes of the ultrasound. While he was sleeping soundly, it was actually pretty cool to look at the brain and activity surrounding it. Then he woke up and started getting really upset. Come the end of the ultrasound, I think I was crying harder than he was. Since I have not ever had to go through anything like this, I thought they would tell immediately what the results were, so the longer she was silent, the more concerned I was that something was terribly wrong.

Thankfully, I just called today and everything looks great. Please praise God with me that these results came back so positive. I covet your prayers for the future, though, as if the twitching continues we will have to go in for another test to make sure they are not seizures. So far, the last two days have been uneventful, so I pray this will continue. Between the collarbone and this, I am sick of DR's visits!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank God that things are alright!!!! We will definitely keep Bryce and the rest of the family in our prayers...praying that the twitching will stop and there will be no more doctor's visits.

Jill said...

Praise God!! We will definitely keep you in our prayers.

Katie said...

Oh how wonderful! I kept thinking about him all afternoon and how scary it must be for you to wait for the results like that. I'm so happy that everything looks good.