Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Pretty Boy" Floyd

In lieu of the fight Saturday night between "Pretty Boy" Grand Rapids local Floyd Mayweather and "Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya, I thought I would share a small story from my past.
When I was a freshman in college, I met a little blond haired girl, Jennifer, while we were on a class smoke break outside ( I cannot believe I actually smoked that much!). We actually have been friends ever since. Anyway, we always had a lot of fun together and as a last hurrah before I got married, a whole bunch of us girls went to this place called "the Grotto". Right as we were about to leave for the evening, this guy came up and introduced himself. His pick up line was " I am going to be on ESPN this Saturday night". Yeah right, I thought. "For what?" I asked, to which he replied "boxing". He proceeded to tell me about his three houses and how famous he was. I had never heard of him.
During that season of my life, I was working towards become an attorney, and I loved to argue. I thought he was lying and told him so. Josh and I were rubbing elbows with Wayne Gretsky's agent and all sorts of sports talent, so even if he was a local celebrity, I was not impressed. Stubborn as I am, he tried for fifteen minutes to convince me he was a "somebody" to no avail. Sure enough, I open the paper the next morning, and who is on the front page? This guy-Floyd Mayweather. He was telling me the truth. Oopsie. Every time I hear about this fight, I am immediately transported back to 1999, the "Grotto", and bickering with Pretty Boy Floyd.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA! - The Grotto! I can't stop laughing! I heard you were the "hot ticket" at Mojo's the other night too!

Laurie said...

From what I've read & seen, he seems to be someone that is easy to argue with.

So not interested in "THE FIGHT." But, great story.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Brent said he wants to get the fight on Pay Per View...Thankfully, I have a good book to read :)

Ashlyn will probably want to watch it, too...She has an interest in karate now and pronounces it "Ka-rah-tay.." (think ross on Friends)

Michelle said...

I got a personal phone call from Floyd inviting me to watch the fight...oh, wait that's right it was just a recorded message from my Cable company telling me to buy it pay-per-view.

So close.

MiniMe Mom said...

The only fight I ever watched on PPV was Tyson-Holyfield when he bit his ear. That pretty much ended any interest I had in men beating the crap out of each other.

Anonymous said...

Jamie, that's the only fight I ever saw too!! I remember thinking Tyson was out of his mind...I think my words were, "What a crackhead..." Out of the mouth of a 17 yr old.

Anonymous said...

I have had no interest in boxing since Ali retired. He was a classic. "Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee". The fist and the tongue working together to win. Now look at him. I have never rubbed elbows with anyone famous except maybe my grandkids.

Triplet Mom said...

I met Bill Stephen.

Triplet Mom said...

I'm not a fan of him.

MiniMe Mom said...

Who? Bill or Mayweather?