Sunday, April 22, 2007

Lessons Learned in Florida

We got back yesterday and had a great time in Florida. We went to Destin, which is on the Gulf side. It was beautiful.

A couple lessons learned:

1. I can survive an entire week without my computer and Internet (okay I did cheat once and went to the library to pay bills).


2. Alligators are very soft, and not at all slimy like I thought they would be

3. Mom needs to do a better job with sunscreen, even though Kayden made it pretty difficult by wiggling and screaming bloody murder the entire application. I tried waiting him out and after an hour I wrestled him down and just forced it on.


4. 19 hours is a long car ride. Kayden did so much better than I thought he would. He did not cry once. We stopped a few times to let him run around outside. Other than that, he really enjoyed being in the car. Surprising.


5. God hears me. On the final day of our trip, we were out by the beach all day. The sun was hot, the water was teal blue in contrast to the white sand. We set up our chairs and umbrella and played up and down the beach all afternoon. There was a dip in the sand where water would pool and we dug holes for Kayden to play in. When it was time to take Kayden back for a nap, we discovered that the room key had fallen out of my dad's bathing suit. We thought we might get lucky if it had fallen out right where we had initially sat. My dad and I went down to the beach and combed through the sand. Nothing. We expanded our search a little further. We went down to where we had dug our holes. We went everywhere we had been and could not find it. I looked up and down the beach for someone with a metal detector that would possibly help us out. After an hour, we felt all hope was lost of ever finding that key. Since it was the last day, we had no idea if we would have to get a locksmith or some other solution to remedy the situation. I sat down in the sand and said a prayer and decided to dig one more time. Into my hand slipped that metal key. Unbelievable. Someone once said that answered prayers can be explained away as coincidence if unbelievers choose to look at it that way. One three inch key in a beach full of sand? A God thing.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back and you are still sane from the car ride! Have you tried that spray on sunscreen? and the key thing....a God thing!

I once lost a diamond stud (first christmas present from Brent) at the lake and thought it was gone for good...Devon was digging in the sand 2 weeks later and found it!

Do you know what day we are meeting for bloggers nite out?

Anonymous said...

That video of Kayden is great. I see a future barefoot waterskier in the making. Well, maybe a surfer. God watches over every little thing, amazing. Sometimes he watches over us just like we do our kids and grandkids.

MiniMe Mom said...

My dad was a barefoot waterskier..the best I could do was one ski, although we grew up on Hess Lake and the family no longer has that cottage...maybe a trip to Fig's cottage is in order this summer....hint hint

Laurie said...

Welcome Home. Sounds like you had a great trip and the key story is another reminder that we serve a God who hears our prayers - big or small. Thanks for sharing it.

tami said...

You definetly need to come out to the cottage. I am thinking a bloggers day out.