Friday, February 18, 2011

All Clear for Takeoff

My kids are absolutely fascinated by airplanes. All summer, we went to the Grand Rapids Airport overlook to watch planes. Many an afternoon was spent eating lunch on the grassy space south of the runway.

The treat of all treats came today, as a friend of the family took the boys up to the control and radar room. I can honestly say that I enjoyed more than they did! It is interesting to see what all goes into moving airplanes in and out.
In the tower, you can see for miles and miles--all the way downtown, and out to the smoke stacks on Port Sheldon. It was neat to hear the pilots talking to the tower and see airplanes taking off and landing first hand.
We also got to go into the radar room, which is unlike anything I expected. Completely black, with just the lights from the radar screens and clocks illuminating the room. I felt like we were on a space ship LOL
It was one day the boys will never forget! Kayden already asked me if we can go back on Monday, to which we told him this was a one-time deal.

No comments: