Sunday, September 27, 2009

YUP.

Yup, I know it has been over a month since the big camping trip.


I suppose I wanted some distance for an attitude adjustment.

Being that we have never camped, I never realized just how much stuff is needed for a few days away from home. From packing bowls and dishes to silverware and scissors to bug spray and sunscreen to sweatshirts, umbrellas, chairs, blankets, pillows...the list seemed never ending and really overwhelming. Post office box after post office box was loaded and set in front of the camper for inclusion. I am not sure I have ever emptied that much out of my house before.


Problems arose almost immediately. We went to go pick up the camper, and realized the hitch we bought did not work. We had no way to get the camper to our house for packing or to the campgrounds. Even setting up the awning proved difficult. We just could not get into a natural rhythm. With all the blue Meijer bags of "necessities" packed high on each surface, there just was no such provision for the inevitable: rain.

and more rain.

and cold weather.

I envisioned myself relaxing on a warm beach, not sitting underneath an awning with two kids playing in the dirt (since of course we forgot the green grass carpet). In all fairness, my expectations were probably too high from the start.

Upon our return home on Sunday, Josh and I were reviewing the week and both mumbling the entire afternoon that we hated camping. My actual words were, "Josh, I loathe camping." Worse yet, everywhere we looked was another load of laundry to do because campfires stink.


Removing myself for this last month has given me the clarity I sought, however. My favorite memories:
  • Kayden riding his bike almost the entire time. Neither the rain or the cold weather bothered him; he loved following around the other kids and had a blast socializing.
  • Playing cards on the night of arrival after everything was unpacked, with just trailer lights and stars illuminating the night.
  • 10 kids on a dock fishing, half of them falling in, just makes for good memories.
  • Nothing feels quite as good as a shower while camping.
  • 17 small kids eating dinner together is heartwarming and memorable (and no small feat!).
  • Being able to read an entire book while Bryce was napping.
  • Playing cornhole with just the adults.
  • Campfires at night without children made up for all the hard work.
  • Oh, and there is just nothin' like a hobo pie. I love those things.
While I can't quite say Josh and I will be running right out to buy a trailer, we did have a great time with our small group and watching Kayden have so much fun.

A few pictures from our trip:













got allergies?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. Ron & I tried camping when our kids were young, I liked it, however, Ron prefers a four star hotel!

Joan