Monday, January 26, 2009

Down time

Josh and I were talking in our bed last night before he went to bed and I went to work, and somehow both boys ended up in there with us. I do not know why, but Kayden is so much more talkative at bedtime.

The conversation went like this:

K: Mom, tell me a story
M: What kind of story would you like?
K: One about Bayden.
Bayden is the alter ego of Kayden. The naughty boy who hits his Grandma, or draws on my counters, or spills the chocolate chips.
M: Okay. Once there was a boy named Bayden, and he loved his mom very much.
K: Yeah, Mom. I am gonna marry you.
M: Your gonna marry your mamma?
K: Well...no. I guess I don't want to get married. I'm too little and your too old.

Then, he thought about it and added, "I think in maybe, like, 14 days I will be old enough."

I visualize the future with them as teenagers. I can see myself looking back to these days and how idyllic this stage of life is. The problems can be solved with a bandaid and a kiss. A 99 cent car makes their day. I know time marches on and so must I, but sometimes I wish that I could keep them this age forever. Innocent, naive, sweet, happy-go-lucky little boys.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I feel the same way. Yesterday Trey told me I was his best friend. {heart}