Saturday, September 06, 2008

The never ending bed time routine


This blog has been a bit of a downer lately. My uncle dying, the hot water heater, my beloved pet...I feel like must set the record straight.


Thursday night, I was putting the boys to bed which is very unusual. I confess. I am horrible at getting Kayden calmed down; I would rather tickle him and delight in his giggle. For some reason, everything is funnier at bedtime.
Once he finally calms down, I love laying next to him and hearing the sounds of him breathing. Smelling his hair damp from a bath, inhaling the baby wash smell that won't be much longer.


It bugs Josh to no end, because obviously if we did this every night it would wreak havoc on the bedtime routine.


This particular night, Kayden was finding the word pumpernickel hilarious. The more he laughed, the harder Bryce would laugh. I had one of those moments, where you remove yourself from the situation. So many of my friends with older kids have told me lately to enjoy this time, because it passes too quick.

So, I surveyed the scene. Thanked God for how incredibly happy I am. Reading this blog, you would never think it, so I apologize for that. Although it has felt a bit chaotic lately, I feel blessed through and through.


how could I ever be anything but overjoyed by this?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Jamie, you are a life giver, not a downer. This was a great post, I think it's great that you are taking time to be in the moment with your kids as I sometimes treat bedtime as a task to check off the list, no tickling involved.

also, those baby buns are precious.
and... I still make my boys wash their hair with baby shampoo...shhh...don't tell them ;-)

Laurie said...

I echo Chelle ... you are not a downer but sometimes a girl needs a little blogger therapy.

Love the buns pic ... I wish rolls were still considered "cute" on a thirty something mom. :)

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

Darling buns pic and you haven't been a downer. Life is full of ups and downs, life isn't always roses and you need to share the good and the bad, and seeing the way you come through the "bad" or the stuff that got you "down" is inspiring. Never apologize for being real....and honest!

Love that you're spending time just "being in the moment" Those are the moments you'll cherish forever....