Thursday, December 20, 2007

Though I walk through the Valley...

"I had no shoes and complained until I met a man who had no feet."

For many of you, you remember Sam Post's death around Thanksgiving last year all too well. He was a kindergartner at the school Josh teaches at, and went home to be with the Lord one month after finding out he had leukemia. Around that time, Sam's mom linked up to another care page- Miss Ali Aardema. 15 years old, the last seven years has been spent in and out of hospitals as she also dealt with reoccurring bouts with childhood leukemia.

Week after week, I kept updated on the numerous health issues of this extraordinarily strong girl. Fighter is the term I would use to describe her- she beat incredible odds and went into remission just a few short months ago. Thanksgiving this year, she went in for a regular doctors visit and collapsed- leading to this current three week hospital stay. I was just informed through her care page (Aardema, Ali), that she died early this morning. As with Sam's death, I think every parent grapples with the "whys" when something like this happens. I think about all the times I complain about the stupid things in life-bills, the weather, you name it. Something like this has a way of putting it all in perspective.

I leave you today with Ali's favorite verse. A verse I have cried to many times over the last year empathizing with parents struggling to deal with the valleys and trials she has endured, and they have been many. Although I have never even met her, her death touches me and saddens me as I have prayed long and hard for her this past year. Please offer your prayers for her family, 2 younger sisters, and all who knew her-either through her care page or directly-and hug your kids a little harder tonight thanking God that we have one more day with these incredible gifts entrusted to us.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have drawn you with loving kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt." Jeremiah 31:3-4

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I followed Ali's care page for a while, but hadn't checked it lately. My heart is heavy to learn this news- she certainly was a fighter. Thanks for the update and we too will be praying for this family.

Unknown said...

I got tears in my eyes for reading this. I too will keep the family in my prayer during this holiday season.

Man, that's gotta be tough dealing with this in the christmas season.

Laurie said...

Saying a prayer for Ali's family right now.