Saturday, December 31, 2011

God is Good

Her name is Maddie.

She is four years old with a rare form of cancer.

They were dear friends of ours when we lived in California.

Her diagnosis came about a month after we found out about Tessa. Her mom just had a baby, and their family all lived in the mid-west. The shuffling they had to do between appointments and hospital stays, the unknowns of how chemo was going to affect Maddie- my heart immediately went out to them.

I wouldn't say misery loves company, because I would never want anyone to go through the year either of us had.

Misery loves understanding, and there is something about someone knowing where you have been that is so comforting.

Around 22 weeks, I got a note in the mail from Maddie's mom.

Scrawled across a plain white sheet of notebook paper were the words "God is Good".

I will be honest.

At that point, I didn't feel like God was all that Good to me.

I felt abandoned.

Forsaken.

Forgot about.

But that little message, from someone who was in the "pit of despair" with me, spoke volumes.

As time marched on, I felt God revealing his plan.

Bringing peace while I was waiting.

Giving hope.

Her miraculous birth.

Watching her grow.

Family and friends who were the feet of Christ.

I can say with absolute certainty.

God is good.

Psalm 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

As I reflect back on the roller coaster year of 2011, I praise God for keeping me safe in His grasp, even when it felt otherwise.

Wishing you a wonderful 2012!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Can barely get through one of your posts without tears...especially this one! Love you guys and am SO thankful that we can both rejoice together over our daughters.