Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Celebrity Sighting

Year: 1999

I was visiting Josh out in California. We decided to go to a football game, the first of the season. As I looked around the stands, something occurred to me that had never been in the forefront of my mind before.


Josh and I (along with his two friends) were the only white people at the game.


I had never realized just how, well, white our community was until that game. It was like the blinders were removed and I realized not all communities are full of mostly white people. Don't get me wrong- I am Dutch. I love this "Dutch Community". I just had never been aware of how non-diverse it was before.


Kayden reminded me again of that tonight.


We went to Josh's first girl's basketball game at Legacy. I watched as a black gentleman, wearing a navy pin stripe suit, came and sat down next to us. His hair was cropped short and he was carrying a black briefcase.


Thinking we were in the presence of the Commander in Chief, Kayden pointed to him and yelled to my mom "Grandma, do you like Barack Obama?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you didn't even need to hear my responce to know what it was. LOL

Love that little Kayden (and Bryce to)

Mom

Unknown said...

Jamie,
I'm sorry I tried to email you, but they just being returned. SO hopefully you will get this message!

WOW what a fun surprise. Thank you!

My address is:

Jessica Bowman
11 w. 3 s.
Soda Springs, Id 83276

I was wondering if there was a link to SEE what we were nomintated for. Thanks for the giveaway. I never win things! :)

Thanks so much!!

my email is rckclmbrjess@yahoo.com