Thursday, December 03, 2009

Standing in line at Subway today, I was contemplating what the various mattress sizes are and how big each one is respectively, and the most wonderful thing happened. More on that later.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out or keep straight the various sizes of beds. I fully remember the Single, the Queen, and King, but the other sizes in there get me every time.

Is a full bigger than a double? What about the twin, where does that fit in?

Back to Subway.

The lady in front of me gave me a big grin and said "Merry Christmas!!", and the two cashiers were smiling and looking at me. Almost as if they were waiting on me to say something. I started to feel a bit uncomfortable, what with four people staring and looking happily at me.

"Did I miss something?" I asked.

"That lady just paid for your sub!" said the cashier.

It made me feel good. Really good. Someone I do not know doing something for me for no other reason than to be nice.

Random Acts of Kindness. It made my day, honestly.

And then I thought of many of you doing the same thing.

As most of you know, the Social Action and Relief Committee is sponsoring a Burmese family. They are set to arrive December 9. I cannot imagine leaving everything I have ever know to fly to another country in which I did not speak the language. So many of you have donated items or gone to the store to pick up supplies for them. I know they will feel like I did today- loved by people they don't even know. It is a blessing to be a part of this story.

Matthew 25:40 The King will answer them "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

okay so are you ready for bed sizes 101. Single = Twin and it's the smallest bed, and Double = Full and it's usually the size that's in hotels when no King bed is available. A queen is a bit bigger in length and wide than a Double. Then there's the King size - it's the size length at a queen but just wider. and Finally the California King which is not at wide as a King but longer. (sorry, I had to know all the sizes when I worked in a custom window coverings store - we also made custom bedding.)

Now back to the rest of your post - What a pleasant surprise, having someome pay for your food!!!! I can only wish that there are more people that can the time to help others out not just during the Christmas Season, but throughout the coming year.

Unknown said...

Thank you Cara- I never can keep those straight. And it makes no sense to me why there are two names for the same size:-)

Anonymous said...

Jamie as your mom I know of so many acts of kindness that you have done for so many people in difficult times in their life or just to be nice. I am glad to see it come back to you this time.