Monday, August 25, 2008

T is for trouble

I can sum up what is going on in our life right now with Ts.


Torticollis-or wry neck, is a condition in which the head is tilted toward one side, and the chin is elevated and turned toward the opposite side. According to the therapist, 80-90% of the time it is caused by a child that is too large for the mother's womb. The neck is scrunched so it grows longer on one side than the other. You can see it in both of these pictures.

The pediatrician noticed it early on and tried to fix it initially without physical therapy. Almost obsessively so, I adjusted him to look to his weaker side (the right side of his body). Night after night I would turn his head the opposite direction, but the shortened muscles made it uncomfortable for him and he would turn it back almost as quickly as I repositioned him. We started physical therapy a week ago Friday, and he seems to be doing better already. I have to admit that a very large part of me was relieved that he did not have to wear the oh-so-adorable helmet.


Tournaments- the end of this softball season brought an unfortunate realization. I am a very sore loser. The final three games of the season provoked my competitive streak, and not in a good way.

Thrush- Bryce and I both have thrush right now. Painful for him, even more painful for me to feed him. We went to Tar-jay and bought a slew of medicine to clear it, but I was this close to buying Similac and saying forget nursing all together.




Teaching-back to school for the hubby. No more pool days. 'Nuff said.


Target- I am three weeks into my run, and already they have bought all of the merchandise I have on hand. Relief!


Trouble-I woke up this morning and Kayden was laying in our bed next to me. This is not unusual, he often pops into our bed in the morning after daddy leaves. I love it because it allows me to sleep longer. However, as my sleepy eyes adjusted to light, there was one thing different than most days. It appeared he had black and blue around his mouth so I leaned in to take another look.

A red, white, and blue Popsicle was thrust in my face. "Take a lick, Mommy" he said with a huge smile and joyful emphasis on the last ckkk. Many of you will remember, I prayed all summer that God would show me the right thing to do with Kayden this year. It is clear; he needs preschool. He is SO bored lately at home. I am excited for him to start, not so excited about paying tuition:-)
I SO wish we went back to school after the holiday!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Great post Jamie. Good luck with all your T's.

By the way, my son is into peeing outside wherever we are too. (Like at a family reunion, right off my parents deck, while everyone ate their dinner.)

A proud mommy moment.